Did you know that the manufacturers of store-bought cleaners are not required to list all their ingredients?  “Green” or “natural” cleaners found in stores can actually be poisoning you.  Don’t be fooled by their “green” claims.  (source)

One common misconception that I hear about cleaners is that the harshest one should be used to do the job.  No, it should not.  Think of it this way:  you see a spider on your wall.  Most women are not fond of spiders.  What can you do to get rid of it?  Well, you can take a sledgehammer and kill the spider.  Will that get the job done?  Most certainly.  In addition, though, you will more likely than not damage your wall as well as killing the spider.

You can take a rolled up newspaper or a shoe, kill the spider, and your wall will be just fine as well.  Just like cleaning, the goal is to accomplish the job in the most mild manner that will get your house clean and also keep you safe.

You probably already know that what you put on your skin is absorbed into your bloodstream. Remember also that your skin comes in contact with cleaners, and they are absorbed into your bloodstream that way.  Furthermore, the cleaners you use are also absorbed into your body through your breathing them.  One of my clients said that the harsh cleaners she used made her cough!  This is not normal.

“Studies have shown that infants exposed in the womb to cleaning products used by their mothers may suffer lower birth weight, lower IQ, and wheezing and respiratory symptoms that may persist throughout childhood.” (source)

If you missed my post about scenting your home safely, you can go here to read it.

1.  Allergies

You thought that the pollen in springtime was the only culprit for your endless sneezing.  No, allergies they are triggered by artificial fragrances found in cleaning products.  The manufacturers want these cleaners to make your home smell “good” or “cleaned.”  Rather, they pollute the air in your home.

2.  Lung irritation and damage

This can be caused by cleaners that contain hydrochloric acid, phosphoric acid, sodium or potassium hydroxide, or ethanolamines.  More specifically, these are heavy duty de-greasers, toilet bowl cleaners, and oven cleaners. (source)

3.  Skin burns

Just recently a client shared how her skin was burned after cleaning up some spilled cleaner.  You would think only bleach or ammonia would do that, but this cleaner was almost as harmful as ammonia or bleach.

It’s not just cleaners that are harmful, though.  Laundry detergent can be as well.  One store brand in Fresh Thyme cautioned about the laundry detergent coming in contact with your skin.  Do you see a problem with this?  Of course!  After you wash your clothes in the laundry detergent, you will wear them, and the laundry detergent will come in contact with your skin!

4.  Cancer

There are many carcinogens in these store-bought cleaners, and they can cause cancer.  One of the easiest ways of avoiding cancer is to use a safer cleaner.

5.  Death

Take a look of the Environmental Working Group’s Hall of Shame here.  No, you may not be accidentally swallowing any of these cleaners, but what about your children and pets?

Really, the list is endless.  This article can be several hundred pages long, but I hope you get the point here.

If you have questions about cleaning your home safely and effectively, feel free to email me today using this form.

What is your #1 challenge when it comes to cleaning safely and effectively?